Monday, April 7, 2014

Interview

After getting into contact a representative from the Makah Culture Research Center I was able to reach out to a Makah Native.  His name is William he told me that he is a "sometimes artist" and that he has"been working on the halibut fishing gear for 8 yrs 8 months now. [he has] been trying to figure out a easy way on making the wooden halibut hook for the young people."  He is interested in keeping the culture alive in the new generations. He works with younger people of the tribe, he said" I still have two individual group/individual working on their wooden halibut hook. I do not push I let them go at own speed." He is interested in art but said, "I haven't gotten into the artwork totally but this year I am hoping to open up."  Regarding his artwork he said" Now I have to expand on how to express more for me. I have to sell my products, its different being new to this artwork." His stated other contributions like, "I have always harvested items for the basket weavers, I have made different things; cedar bark rope, stinging nettles fishing line, the whole halibut gear system." Overall it was a great interview and I was really excited that after all this researching I've done about this culture that I was actually able to speak to someone from the culture! 

No comments:

Post a Comment